Board development: How effective is your board? Are all your board meetings efficient, effective and strategic?
Do all your directors fully understand their role – and match up to best practice?
Professionalism in the boardroom plays a key part in the prosperity of any organisation. Directors and boards sit at the top of an organisation and are responsible for leadership and corporate governance.
The reason you are here is that you recognise that the effectiveness of your board – or one or more of your directors – need to be improved.
Training and development of individual directors and the board as a whole is an important investment for any organisation that intends to operate at its greatest effectiveness.
Brefi Group provides a comprehensive approach to board and director development – improving the effectiveness of directors and boards against clearly established standards of good practice. We combine our extensive international experience of management development with benchmarking processes and behaviours recommended by the UK Institute of Directors' Standards for the Board.
Appointment of an individual coach/consultant who can both design and manage a board development and training programme, and provide individual confidential director coaching will enable progress to be integrated for the greater benefit of the team.
Each programme is specifically designed for an individual client, in conjunction with the chairman and chief executive. The following is an indication of activities that could be involved.
- Introductory briefing meeting
- Review of board processes and behaviours
- 360° feedback survey
- Individual director profiling to review board balance and completeness and to identify individual strengths and roles
- Feedback workshop to report and discuss findings and to agree goals and success measures
- Individual director feedback consultations
- Facilitated board strategy retreat
- Training workshops and/or training sessions during board meetings
- Individual director coaching and telephone support
Training and development subjects for directors and boards
Here is a selection of matters that are commonly addressed in director development programmes for directors and boards: -
- Essential differences between direction, management and ownership
- Balance of responsibility between being a director and an executive
- The role and responsibilities of non-executive directors (NEDs)
- Setting vision, mission and values – and why they are so important
- The role of personality in team building
- Good governance processes and practices
- Achieving board effectiveness
- Agreeing and setting performance measures
- Tools for the boardroom to increase effectiveness
- Boardroom behaviours – good and bad
- Effective board meetings
- Relationships with stakeholders
- Corporate social responsibility
- Frameworks for decisionmaking
- Negotiation skills
- Communication skills
- Presentation skills
- Talent management and grooming of future board members
What to do next about director development
It's vital that you don't leave this site without identifying exactly what you need.
Answer these questions:-
- How effective is your organisation's board?
- What do you do to select and induct new directors and what do you do to maintain ongoing development?
- Have you recently undertaken an audit of board processes and behaviours?
- How do you appraise directors – both executive and non-executive?
- Do you have a director development programme?
If you are the chairman of an organisation, chief executive, or a director (or enquiring on behalf of a board member), and would like to improve your board's effectiveness, then do contact us for a confidential discussion about director and board development. It costs nothing, and our work is guaranteed.
Why not start by asking us to review the processes, behaviours and skill sets of your company directors and board?
Brefi Group possesses a unique combination of maturity, professional skills and human qualities required for supporting directors and boards, whether they be in commercial or public organisations or running a small company.
When you are ready to move forward, the next step is easy.
Contact us, by telephone on +44 (0) 121 288 3417 – or use our contact page.
If you are still undecided and would like to know a little bit more about us before making contact, please visit our About us page to consider our impeccable credentials and the many benefits we could offer to you and your organisation.
You will find further simple contact links available there.